Monday, June 11, 2012

Remembering an Indian Childhood

Of sandal, spices and of mud

I smell my land-far, far away

Where children swung on banyan roots

And marbles were the game to play.



I dream of colors and flowers

And of the muddy paths I walked

And how I waited for the rains

And how we giggled while we talked.



I think of grassy orchards where

We played the game of climbing trees

And scrambling down with guavas ripe

I held my face against the breeze.



Come summer, what delight it was

To pickle mangoes, green and raw

Chasing the glow worms in the dark

And every shadow that we saw.



Sometimes sitting by the green pond

We took up fishing for some fun

And having caught a fish or two

I tried to dry them in the sun.



And now I am so far away

From childhood and this lovely land

There are no games, no colors bright

They were but castles on the sand.



These footprints on my memories

Cannot be washed away by time

No matter where I live or go

Like little bells they tinkle, chime.



At times these faded memories

Come out, alive, in my deep dreams-

The comfort of my adult life

Might not be as good as it seems.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! Reminds me of home. But the theme is deeply reminiscent of "The West Wind" by John Masefield. Although, the styles of both the poems is vastly different, yours being a lot more colourful(perhaps because of my experience with an Indian childhood, and not a European childhood).

Darakhshan said...

Thanks-I hadn't read that poem of his until you mentioned it(reason #1000001 why i like google). It is definitely far, far superior and is sadder. I liked his other poem "Sea-fever".